Journeys of the Heart 2014 Appeal
Journeys of the Heart has been reaching out to the disenfranchised in Vietnam since 2008. When we leave in December 2013 for another three months of work it will be our sixth journey.
This is what we know for sure!
· Grass roots, sustainable organizations and projects have a significant impact
· Helping people to help themselves through education, training and micro-loan programs is far better than giving handouts
· Locally run projects reach the real needs of people within their communities who “slip through the cracks” of government or international NGO initiatives
· Our skills as retired business consultants and former educators are useful tools in our capacities as advisers to three of the organizations we serve.
· We continue to garner great joy and personal satisfaction from our work with our Vietnamese “clients”, friends and family as well as the expats who are also there to serve.
· With your financial support we ARE making a difference; changing lives, educating more girls from poor families, training more disabled young people, delivering more books to remote villages and assisting victims of Agent Orange in becoming self supporting
Results from our 2012 Journey of the Heart:
- · Delivered five portable libraries to a remote school district in the Mekong Delta in co-operation with Global Village Foundation
- · Sponsored seven girls in the Children’s Education Foundation’s scholarship program
- · Provided micro-loans to five Agent Orange victim families for the purposes of establishing home based businesses
- · Provided training for four new employees at both the Reaching Out Craft Shop and the Reaching Out Tea House, where persons of disability are gainfully employed and learn to lead independent lives
- · Gave special gifts of shampoo and face cloths for an old folks home, Oxford Picture dictionaries for deserving students, medicines for a cancer patient, books for young girls being harboured in a pagoda
Our goals for 2014:
· 5 libraries - $500 per library
· 10 education scholarships for girls at risk -$150-$200 per child
· 7 micro-loans - $200--$500 depending on the business start up costs
· 5 -7 training sponsorships for persons of disability including housing -$500 per student
We combine the gifts of many donors to fulfill this wish list. Please send your cheques made out to Journeys of the Heart in either US or CDN funds to:
#10-115 Upper Ganges Road, Salt Spring Island, BC, V8K 2Y3, Canada
Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-250-537-4125